American Historic Highways
New York Arrival
Today, arrive in New York City, the world-famous Big Apple. Transfer independently to your hotel. Enjoy your evening at leisure exploring the city.
A full day is yours to explore this exciting city, filled with people, famous sights, and skyscrapers. See the Statue of Liberty, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, the Empire State Building, The United Nations, and much more.
New York – Cape Cod / driving distance: 270 mi /440 km
After picking up your rental car, you will drive east through the coastal towns and villages bordering Long Island Sound and pass through Connecticut and Rhode Island en route to the rustic charm of Cape Cod.
Cape Cod – Boston / driving distance: 80 mi /130 km
The heritage of colonial America is revealed today as you visit cities founded by the Pilgrims and the Puritans. In Boston, you can visit the haunts of the revolutionary patriots who stoked the fires of democracy throughout the Colonies.
Boston – Acadia National Park – Bar Harbor / driving distance: 340 mi / 550 km
Driving north along the eastern coastline, you will pass through Salem, Massachusetts – the sight of the only witch trials in the United States and the historic port city of Portland, Maine. Then on to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
Bar Harbor – Québec / driving distance: 300 mi / 480 km
Journey across the Appalachian Mountains and past Moosehead Lake before crossing at the U.S. US border into the French-speaking Province of Québec. Bright blue and white farmhouses dot the landscape as you travel through rolling countryside toward the provincial capital of Québec.
Québec – St. Lawrence River – Montréal / driving distance: 160 mi /260 km
A full day to discover romantically medieval Québec City and experience the locals’ joie de vivre. Fortifications of Upper Town overlook Lower Town with its narrow, steep cobblestone streets at the river front. Visit the Citadel and Place-Royale. A short drive away is Île d’Órlèans. The island’s shoreline is dotted with attractive Victorian-style summer homes.
Montréal – Ottawa / driving distance: 140 mi / 230 km
Today drive to Ottawa, Canada’s national seat of government.
Ottawa – Toronto / driving distance: 270 mi / 440 km
Toronto, located on the shores of Lake Ontario, is a modern banking and business center. Today you will have time to explore the ethnic diversity of Toronto’s neighborhoods, or enjoy the panoramic view of Toronto and Lake Ontario from the CN Tower, the world’s tallest freestanding structure.
Toronto – Niagara Falls / driving distance: 88 mi / 141 km
Today enjoy the thundering Niagara Falls and perhaps take a Maid of the Mist cruise.
Niagara Falls – Harrisburg / driving distance: 351 mi / 562 km
Enjoy the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York en route to the state of Pennsylvania. The simple lifestyle of the Pennsylvania Dutch enhances the rural beauty of the area. Continue to visit to the most famous Civil War battleground, Gettysburg. Overnight in Harrisburg.
Harrisburg – Charlottesville – Williamsburg / driving distance: 264 mi / 426 km
The dramatic Blue Ridge Mountains are contrasted by the rolling green Shenandoah Valley. Follow the crest of the mountains to Charlottesville, home to multiple U.S. Presidents, including Thomas Jefferson. Then pass through the state capital of Richmond, as you drive eastward into Williamsburg, for a taste of Virginia’s colonial past.
Williamsburg – Washington D.C. / driving distance: 170 mi / 280 km
In the morning, explore the grounds of Colonial Williamsburg, faithfully restored to create an accurate impression of the 18th-century Virginia capital. Then enjoy the verdant landscape of the Old Dominion as you drive north to the nation’s capital, Washington D.C. The broad boulevards of Pierre L’Enfant’s masterfully designed city will leave you with a dramatic impression of America’s seat of government.
Take the full day to explore the monuments and museums of this grand city. The Smithsonian Institution, a world-renowned complex of museums fronting the National Mall, is a repository of national artifacts and treasures. The views from the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and Capitol Hill provide unforgettable images of the city.
Washington D.C. – New York Departure / driving distance: 240 mi / 390 km
Today you will have the chance to visit Independence Park in Philadelphia, where the spirit of the American Revolution was forged into the foundation of the new nation. Once over the Delaware River you will arrive in the Garden State of New Jersey en route to New York City, your final destination. Return your car and transfer independently to the airport.
Prices, Dates, Hotels & Conditions
CHANGE CURRENCY€ £ $ A$ ¥ C$
The final price you will pay for this tour is that displayed in USD. Prices converted in other
currencies are for guidance purposes only and are approximate.
|DAILY DEPARTURES||PRICE FROM
|May, June, July, August, September, October||1339|
|1-2||New York||Skyline Hotel|
|3||Cape Cod/Falmouth||ShoreWay Acres Inn|
|4||Boston||The Midtown Hotel|
|5||Bar Harbor||Colonial Inn Ellsworth|
|6||Québec||TRYP by Wyndham Quebec Hotel Pur|
|7||Montréal||Hotel Travelodge Montreal Centre|
|9||Toronto||Bond Place Hotel|
|10||Niagara Falls||Best Western Plus Cairn Croft|
|12||Williamsburg||Days Inn Williamsburg Colonial Area|
|13-14||Washington D.C.||Capitol Skyline Hotel|
This tour crosses the U.S./Canada border. Passengers should obtain relevant visas for both nations prior to travel where necessary.
- Walk or run in Central Park
- View the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park
- Stroll along the beaches of Cape Cod
- Walk the historic Freedom trail in Boston
- Visit Salem, the site of the Salem witch trials and birthplace of novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Drive to the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park
- Eat fresh Maine lobster in Bar Harbor
- Stroll Quebec City’s cobblestone street while watching artisans busy at work
- Dive into a river of discovery as you follow the historic St. Lawrence
- Discover Montreal, the world’s second-largest French-speaking city after Paris
- Stand on the lawn of Ottawa’s Parliament Hill to view the daily Changing the Guard ceremony
- Adventure awaits at Toronto’s CN Tower, Canada’s most recognizable and celebrated icon
- Feel the thundering roar and tremendous power of Niagara Falls’ waters
- Uncover the rich history and culture of the Amish
- Experience the passion of Gettysburg and the inspiration for the “Gettysburg Address”
- Pass Charlottesville, home to three U.S. presidents
- See 18th-century trades practiced using 18th-century methods and tools
- View original 18th-century structures in the Historic Area of Colonial Williamsburg
- Delight in DC’s celebrated monuments and memorials showcasing the history of the U.S.
- Capture a photo of the White House
- Discover America’s past at Independence National Historical Park
- See the Liberty Bell and Declaration of Independence
Admission fees not included