Colourful Trails of the Southwest
ARRIVE PHOENIX - SCOTTSDALE
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. Check in to your hotel and spend some time relaxing. At 6 p.m., gather at the hotel with your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception.
SCOTTSDALE - SEDONA - GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Leaving behind the Saguaro cacti of the Sonoran desert, ascend into the stunning red rock formations announcing your entrance to the artists' enclave of Sedona. If you like, trade your motorcoach for a rough-and-ready jeep on an optional adventure into Red Rock Country. Get a taste of the old cowboy days where you encounter stunning landscapes. Travel onward and be sure to have your camera ready as you near Oak Creek Canyon with its towering red cliffs and crystal pools. At the Grand Canyon, meet a Local Specialist who walks you through the geologic life of the canyon.
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK - MONUMENT VALLEY - BLUFF
Rise early for an optional flightseeing tour over the Grand Canyon or spend more time in the National Park. You might experience a feeling of deja vu when you enter the wide-open expanse of Monument Valley-this scenic location has been preserved forever in classic films such as Stagecoach and The Searchers. Get up close and personal with the magnificent landscape of towering sandstone buttes and lovely desert vistas in special open-air vehicles accompanied by a guide. Later, enjoy a unique Navajo cookout Regional Meal dinner in Monument Valley.
BLUFF - MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK - MOAB
Travel east this morning through a mesmerising desert landscape before arriving at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Mesa Verde National Park at the edge of the San Juan National Forest. Between 600 and 1300 A.D., the Ancestral Puebloan people carved houses and entire communities out of the sandstone along the canyon walls. Look down at the massive Cliff Palace, the largest cliff dwelling in North America. End your day's journey in the outdoor mecca of Moab.
ARCHES NATIONAL PARK EXCURSION AND MOAB
In magnificent Arches National Park, the wind and rain have eroded the sandstone into more than 2,000 natural arches; wander through a kaleidoscope of geologic time as you watch the morning light play upon the ancient, multi-coloured stone. Explore the shops and outfitters in Moab as you enjoy an afternoon on your own. This evening, venture along the Colorado River for an exclusive Be My Guest dinner at a sand beach along the water. The fading sunlight is framed by towering red sandstone cliffs.
MOAB - OURAY - SILVERTON - DURANGO
Depart America's outdoor recreation capital for the "Switzerland of America." Friendly Ouray boasts classic Victorian architecture, awe-inspiring views and a homey, small-town vibe. Then it's time to take to the highway-the Million-Dollar Highway, that is-with its priceless views of snowcapped peaks and shimmering alpine lakes. Stake your claim in Silverton, a former silver mining camp that now occupies a spot on the National Registry of Historic Landmark Districts. If you like, take an optional ride from Silverton to Durango on the Narrow Gauge Railroad, which operates coal-fired steam engines through the San Juan National Forest. Later on, check in to your hotel and enjoy an evening at leisure.
DURANGO - TAOS - SANTA FE
Today, head south toward the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Taos Pueblo, an ancient site that has been continuously inhabited for more than 1,000 years by members of the Native American Pueblo people. Learn about the traditional lifestyle and beliefs of the Pueblo Indians and visit the striking adobe chapel of San Geronimo. Continue travelling along the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, the foothills of the Rockies, to the colourful artists' mecca of Santa Fe. Check in to your hotel for the next two nights. Your evening is free to visit some of the many galleries, sample some renowned Southwest cuisine or just admire the adobe architecture of the vibrant plaza.
SANTA FE SIGHTSEEING
Embark on a private trolley tour with your Local Specialist to see the sights of Santa Fe and soak up the atmosphere in one of the West's most interesting towns-unparalleled in richness of history, heritage, arts and culture. Hear the story about the two mysteries surrounding the spiral staircase in the Loretto Chapel as you see them for yourself. Enjoy the afternoon on your own to explore old downtown, including the Eldorado Hotel and St. Francis Cathedral. Perhaps do some shopping at a local gallery, follow in the footsteps of Kit Carson on a walking tour or pamper yourself in one of Santa Fe's elegant spas. This evening, gather with your Travel Director and travelling companions for a festive Farewell Dinner.
SANTA FE - DEPART ALBUQUERQUE
After breakfast, bid farewell to your fellow travellers. Perhaps extend your stay in Albuquerque at the BW Plus Rio Grande Inn or take a transfer to Albuquerque International Airport.
Prices, Dates, Hotels & Conditions
CHANGE CURRENCY€ £ $ A$ ¥ C$
The final price you will pay for this tour is that displayed in USD. Prices converted in other
currencies are for guidance purposes only and are approximate.
|DEPARTURES 2018||PRICE FROM|
|MAY 6, 13||2292|
|SEP 28 (ALBUQUERQUE BALOON FIESTA - 10 Days Tour)||2602|
|OCT 4 (ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA - 10 Days Tour)||2602|
YOUR ESCORTED MOTORCOACH TOUR INCLUDES
- Services of a professional Tour Manager throughout
- Deluxe air-conditioned motorcoach with onboard restroom facilities
- Hotel accommodations as specified or similar
- Sightseeing as specified
- Hotel taxes; service charges; and baggage (one suitcase per person)
- Scenic drives through Sedona, along the Million Dollar Highway, through the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, along Oak Creek Canyon
- Visit Scottsdale, Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Arches National Park, Moab, Silverton, Durango, Taos, Santa Fe
- 8 full breakfasts
- 4 dinners (including Be My Guest)
- Authentic Accommodation: Stay at Red Cliffs Lodge on the banks of the Colorado River, the Strater Hotel located in the heart of the Rockies and the Inn and Spa at Loretto
- Red Cliffs Lodge, Moab: This ranch and Authentic Accommodation includes both a lodge and a museum documenting the property's history. In the late 1940s, legendary director John Ford discovered the rugged beauty of Moab's Canyonlands and filmed the first of many movies here
- Strater Hotel, Durango: Opened in the late 1800s, this Authentic Accommodation became a popular winter retreat for townsfolk who would close their homes for the winter and move in. Many noted personages called the Strater home, including renowned Western author Louis L'Amour
- Inn and Spa at Loretto, Santa Fe: A fixture in the Santa Fe community, this Authentic Accommodation shares its grounds with the famed Loretto Chapel and has an ideal location only one block from Santa Fe's historic Plaza. The property embodies the culture of the region with its adobe-style architecture and reflects the true spirit and history of the city of Santa Fe
- Be My Guest: Enjoy an exclusive dinner at a sand beach along the Colorado River with Jose Tejada and friends in the red rock country near Moab
- Hidden Treasures: Enjoy at least one surprise Hidden Treasure
- Local Specialists: For included sightseeing at the Grand Canyon and in Santa Fe
|1||Scottsdale||Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town|
|2||Grand Canyon||National Park Lodges|
|3||Bluff||Desert Rose Inn|
|4-5||Moab||Red Cliffs Lodge Authentic Accommodation|
|6||Durango||The Strater Authentic Accommodation|
|7-8||Santa Fe||Inn and Spa at Loretto Authentic Accommodation|
PRE & POST HOTELS
PRE: Scottsdale, Scottsdale Marriott Suites Old Town
POST: Albuquerque, BW Plus Rio Grande Inn
SEP 28, OCT 4 DEPARTURES WITH ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA
Description of Days 9 and 10
Day 9 - ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA
Today, explore quaint Old Town Albuquerque with a guided walking tour. This evening, witness the breathtaking Balloon Glow when the festival balloons light their burners simultaneously under the moonlight before a spectacular fireworks display.
Day 10 - DEPART ALBUQUERQUE
This morning, gaze in awe as each of the balloons participating in the Balloon Fiesta ascend into the air with a burst of colour and sound. You'll enjoy this once in a lifetime experience in the exclusive Chasers' Club featuring guaranteed private seating, deluxe views of the launch and hot food. Return to your hotel in the afternoon and bid farewell to New Mexico as you board your transfer to Albuquerque International Airport.
We offer a range of optional experiences and entertainment options to complement our trips. These are purchased when you are on your trip.