Welcome to the starting point of Route 66. At 6 p.m., gather with your Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Welcome Reception.
CHICAGO – PONTIAC – SPRINGFIELD – ST. LOUIS
After an introduction to the Windy City, hit the road for a good, old-fashioned American road trip. Explore the history and cultural impact of America's Mother Road at the Route 66 Association Hall of Fame and Museum. Roll on to Springfield, on the way to St. Louis, where you learn to mix up your own dry rub and enjoy a rib-sticking Be My Guest barbecue dinner.
ST. LOUIS SIGHTSEEING
Start the day with the view from atop the famed St. Louis Gateway Arch. Afterward, experience a Cultural Insight with a guided tour of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery-from the stables of the Clydesdales to the tasting room. The rest of the afternoon is yours to enjoy.
ST LOUIS - MERAMEC CAVERNS - BRANSON
Begin your day by going underground in Meramec Caverns, a former hideout of Jesse James. Then it's onward to the Ozarks and the lively American musical mecca of Branson to explore on your own.
BRANSON – CLAREMORE – OKLAHOMA CITY
Roll into eastern Oklahoma via a scenic stretch of Will Rogers Highway. Stop to visit the Will Rogers Memorial Museum dedicated to the famous American humourist. Tonight, enjoy a Regional Meal.
OKLAHOMA CITY SIGHTSEEING
Visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum, honouring the 1995 bombing victims. Then, get a taste of the Old West at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. The rest of the day is yours to explore.
OKLAHOMA CITY - ROUTE 66 MUSEUM - AMARILLO
In Clinton, explore a classic collection of Route 66 history, memorabilia and culture. Return to Old Route 66 for a scenic drive before stopping in Amarillo.
AMARILLO - ALBUQUERQUE
See the famed Cadillac Ranch pop art installation just outside of Amarillo. Stop in Tucumcari, where a large number of the vintage motels and restaurants are still in existence. Travel on to Albuquerque for a dinner at the 66 Diner with its jukebox and blue-plate specials.
ALBUQUERQUE SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME
While Albuquerque didn't boom until the creation of Route 66, the city has existed for more than 300 years. Enjoy the day exploring on your own.
ALBUQUERQUE - FLAGSTAFF
Cruise through Gallup this morning and see the historic El Rancho Hotel. Crossing into Arizona, watch the changing colours of the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Park. See the Wigwam Motel and the Man Standing on the Corner before arriving in Flagstaff.
FLAGSTAFF - CAMERON TRADING POST - GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK
Stop at Cameron Trading Post and browse through the shop for Navajo crafts. This afternoon, wind along scenic Desert View Drive before arriving at the Grand Canyon and spend the night inside the park.
GRAND CANYON - SELIGMAN - LAS VEGAS
Hit the road again, passing through Seligman. Drive through a Route 66 ghost town along the original route to see the well-preserved motels, diners and gas stations of a simpler era. Then on to Las Vegas to enjoy some free time.
LAS VEGAS FREE TIME
A full free day to take in all that Las Vegas has to offer.
LAS VEGAS - LOS ANGELES
Travel from the desert of Las Vegas into Los Angeles. This evening, celebrate with a festive Farewell Dinner.
DEPART LOS ANGELES
Say goodbye to Route 66 with a trip to Santa Monica. Then take a transfer to Los Angeles International Airport or extend your stay in L.A.
Prices, Dates, Hotels & Conditions
CHANGE CURRENCY€ £ $ A$ ¥ C$
The final price you will pay for this tour is that displayed in USD. Prices converted in other
currencies are for guidance purposes only and are approximate.
|DEPARTURES 2018||PRICE FROM|
|MAY 13, 27||3501|
|SEP 29 (BALLOON FIESTA)||3591|
|OCT 6 (BALLOON FIESTA)||3591|
YOUR ESCORTED MOTORCOACH TOUR INCLUDES
- Services of a professional Tour Manager throughout
- Deluxe air-conditioned motorcoach with onboard restroom facilities
- Hotel accommodations as specified or similar
- Sightseeing as specified
- Hotel taxes; service charges; and baggage (one suitcase per person)
- Scenic drive along Will Rogers Highway, Desert View Drive
- Orientation of Chicago
- View the outdoor installations at Cadillac Ranch, the Petrified Forest National Park
- Visit the Route 66 Association Hall of Fame and Museum, St. Louis, Meramec Caverns, Branson, Will Rogers Memorial Museum, Clinton, Albuquerque, Grand Canyon National Park, Las Vegas, Los Angeles
- 14 full breakfasts
- 5 dinners (including Be My Guest)
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- Authentic Accommodation: The Palmer House Hilton, Chicago: One of the nation's oldest continuously operating hotels, and an Authentic Accommodation, hosts you along with entertainers such as Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland, who were guests when the hotel was an entertainment epicentre in the mid 1900s. Stay at the Palmer House, a grand Chicago icon hailing back to 1873
- Be My Guest: Join owner and Pitmaster of Bootleggin' BBQ, Brenton Brown, for a culinary experience in traditional American barbecue including a trip out back to their charcoal grill for a demonstration on how St. Louis style ribs are smoked to perfection
- Cultural Insights: Explore the 150-year history of the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in St. Louis and sample its brews
- Hidden Treasure: Enjoy at least one surprise Hidden Treasure
|1||Chicago||The Palmer House Hilton Authentic Accommodation|
|2-3||St Louis||Holiday Inn St. Louis Downtown|
|4||Branson||Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing|
|5-6||Oklahoma City||Courtyard Oklahoma City Downtown|
|7||Amarillo||Embassy Suites Downtown|
|8-9||Albuquerque||Albuquerque at Old Town|
|11||Grand Canyon||National Park Lodges|
|12-13||Las Vegas||Tropicana Las Vegas|
|14||Los Angeles||Beverly Hills Marriott|
PRE & POST HOTELS
PRE: Chicago, The Palmer House Hilton Authentic Accommodation
POST: Los Angeles, Beverly Hills Marriott
SEP 29 AND OCT 6 DEPARTURES WITH ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA
Description of Day 9 - ALBUQUERQUE BALLOON FIESTA
Rise early to watch the greatest show in the air. Gaze in wonder as hundreds of brightly coloured hot air balloons rise into the clear blue autumn sky. Tonight, don your poodle skirt or leather jacket for a dinner at the 66 Diner with its 1950s jukebox and blue-plate specials.
We offer a range of optional experiences and entertainment options to complement our trips. These are purchased when you are on your trip.